Creekside Nursery makes $5.9K+ from email and SMS in first week with Klaviyo
Creekside Nursery is an 8.5-acre nursery in Dallas, North Carolina. Named a Destination Nursery by plant brand Proven Winners, and run by husband-and-wife duo Jerry and Jenny Simpson, the nursery is more than a picturesque spot. As of November 2023, it’s also a booming online store, where plant lovers from across the country can buy perennials, shrubs, and seasonal blooms direct from the growers.
Learn how Creekside Nursery and ECD Digital Strategy built a powerful ecommerce funnel with YouTube and Klaviyo
The Simpsons had a thriving gardening YouTube channel. They had signed influencer contracts with other brands. They were rapidly closing in on 100K followers.
But they wanted to use their social presence to grow their own nursery. “If the business isn’t growing, it’s dying,” says Jenny.
That posed a problem. Few of their followers lived in their small town, or even passed through. Dallas, North Carolina is so small, “it doesn’t make it on the map most of the time,” Jenny jokes.
Ecommerce felt like a natural way to connect their followers with their plants. The hitch: The Simpsons had tried it before, and they knew the workload could get overwhelming.
They needed a team and a tech stack that could fully support them.
They hired ECD Digital Strategy, a digital marketing agency, to help them plan their ecommerce launch and set up their tech stack.
“We knew that email and SMS were going to be great ways for them to continually build their digital relationships with their subscribers—without having to create a ton of time-consuming new YouTube videos,” says Maddy DiBiase, head of retention at ECD Digital Strategy.
So the agency got them started in Klaviyo, the only email and SMS platform ECD Digital Strategy works with.
Between Klaviyo’s ease of use and ECD’s streamlined playbook, setup moved fast:
- In their first week with Klaviyo, Creekside Nursery garnered 2K+ signups and $5.9K in revenue from email and SMS.
- In their second week, they ran their first BFCM sale ever—and over the long weekend, they drove 90%+ of Shopify revenue with Klaviyo.
- In their third week, they added Klaviyo Reviews to their suite of products.
“It was a no-brainer to use everything that Klaviyo is offering,” says DiBiase. “Having email, SMS, and reviews all in one spot saves time, and you can think about a whole strategy in one go.”
Creekside Nursery and ECD Digital Strategy built their winning early strategy around 3 main pillars, DiBiase explains:
- Targeted sign-up pop-ups: Creekside has multiple Klaviyo forms running at the same time: one pop-up for desktop, one for mobile, and an SMS-only one for email subscribers. “We’re trying to get everyone on both lists,” DiBiase says.
- A hybrid email + SMS welcome flow: This personalized automation can send on one or both channels, depending on sign-up status. ECD uses Klaviyo’s conditional blocks to make sure it only highlights the sign-up discount to people who haven’t bought.
- A feedback loop with YouTube: The welcome flow links to the Simpsons’ YouTube channel. On YouTube, Jenny encourages viewers to visit the website—which has boosted pop-up conversion rates significantly, DiBiase reports.
So far, the team’s biggest takeaway: Klaviyo and YouTube make a powerful pair.
Jerry watched real-time Shopify sales on Black Friday and saw a major uptick when their first email sent. “Between email and video—having both makes it happen,” he says. “It would not be the same with just video.”
Jenny agrees. “Right now, we’re bringing in revenue that we would never bring in without Klaviyo marketing campaigns.”