New Ways to Grow Without Sacrificing Ownership: Highlights from Klaviyo’s Product Event
Editor’s Note: Learn about Klaviyo’ new feature below. Then find out more in the post-event Q&A led by Klaviyo product experts. Watch the recap.
There’s a bright, refreshing future on the horizon. One in which you—entrepreneurs, creators, visionaries—are the sole owner of your growth.
With monumental data privacy shifts coming to digital marketing following Apple and Google’s recent updates, the way you sell your products and build relationships with your customers is going to change. Irrevocably. But perhaps, for the better.
Andrew Bialecki, Klaviyo’s co-founder and CEO, optimistically focused on the future and what it holds for your relationships as he kicked off Klaviyo’s product event.
He shared, “We believe the future of our relationships with the people we care about won’t be gated by marketplaces or social platforms, we’ll talk directly to them.”
Harnessing your Customer-First Data™ is your path towards more ownership and more genuine connections. Essentially—more talking, less stalking.
Hear more of how Andrew’s thinking about the future and learn about four major product updates that’ll help you better navigate it.
Don’t have time to watch the event right now? Here’s what you missed.
Unlock your data to deliver personalized customer experiences
The first product update was the announcement of a brand new event-triggered flow: The Price Drop Trigger.
Shoshana Antunes, Klaviyo’s principal customer education specialist, explained:
“It’s important to own your data, so you can build relationships directly with your customers and deliver more relevant, personalized experiences.”
“So many of you build that strong customer connection by offering up the perfect products tailored to them. But your customers are real people, who have to live within a budget, so sometimes the price of that perfect product is just a little too high, and they get cold feet.”
"It’s important to own your data, so you can build relationships directly with your customers and deliver more relevant, personalized experiences."
Shoshana Antunes, principal customer education specialist, Klaviyo
What are Price Drop Triggers?
Price Drop Triggers are simple automations you can set up in minutes.* They alert your text and email subscribers when a product they’ve fallen in love with—but couldn’t afford originally—goes on sale at a lower price.
Event-triggered flows are email and SMS messages Klaviyo sends to your customers based on the actions they take on your website. Based on the data you already capture in Klaviyo, you can deliver an incredibly relevant and targeted experience to your customers—automatically.
With Price Drop Triggers, not only can you re-engage your shoppers with personalized messages every time you run a pricing promotion, but you can do so without the extra hassle of building a new segment, creating a new campaign with the appropriate product images, and carving out the time in your busy schedule to get the behind-the-scenes work done.
Price Drop Triggers will help you:
- Increase your revenue. When you notify your customers that their favorite products are on sale, you may entice them to come back to your site and complete their order. Try creating a sense of urgency around your product discount to boost your chances of recouping lost sales.
- Save time. You don’t have to worry about manually informing your customers about your latest sale. After a quick, one-time setup, Price Drop Triggers allow you to build a scalable automation that notifies the right customers about changes to your catalog’s pricing—via a personalized email and text.
- Improve your customers’ experience. If the original price of your product was the main roadblock in deterring someone from making their purchase, then sending a well-timed price drop alert might just be the thoughtful nudge they need to come back and buy.
Want to deliver a highly personalized buying experience to your customers in minutes?
*Available through select ecommerce integrations.
Make multi-channel marketing easy
The second product announcement was an additional feature that’s designed to help you grow both your email and text message marketing channels, simultaneously: Multi-step Forms.
Before diving into the feature itself, Hansen Liang, a product manager at Klaviyo, first explained what “personalization at scale” truly means:
“Personalization means more than just a dynamically inserted first name. Personalization means, for each customer, delivering the right message at the right time via the right channel. It means providing valuable, relevant content to each customer, as if you created that message just for them—but can scale to millions of customers at a time.”
“But how do you build that base of customers who want to engage with you? How do you collect subscriber info across all of your owned channels, in a way that feels natural for your customers?”
"Personalization means more than just a dynamically inserted first name. Personalization means, for each customer, delivering the right message at the right time via the right channel. It means providing valuable, relevant content to each customer, as if you created that message just for them—but can scale to millions of customers at a time."
Hansen Liang, product manager, Klaviyo
What are Multi-step Forms?
Multi-step Forms allow you to grow your customer base across email and text message marketing in a way that’s simple and streamlined. You can ask for additional information that will help you personalize your customers’ experience beyond what you could do with a traditional signup form.
The more cohesive a journey you can create for your customers across every channel they interact with you on, the better their experience will be.
Multi-step Forms will help you:
- Get to know your customers. By making it easy for your customers to provide you with more information, you can better understand what makes them tick—and then send them targeted messages that encourage them to buy from you time and again.
- Grow the size of your SMS list. Growing your SMS subscriber list is essential to your text marketing strategy because without engaged recipients, texts won’t yield the results you want. With a click-to-text sign up feature, you can quickly capture SMS consent from your customers who are on their phones.
- Opt your customers into both email and SMS from the get-go. You can grow your SMS audience without sacrificing email capture. Plus, you can let your customers choose how they want to receive your communications, resulting in higher engagement and a more enjoyable experience for them.
Explore how Multi-step Forms can help you personalize at scale.
Speaking of text messages, we announced updates to Klaviyo SMS that’ve made the product smarter, faster, and more intuitive to use—plus, we’ve welcomed more people to the party. Hello, Canada and the United Kingdom. 👋
Andrea Wan, Klaviyo’s head of SMS, explained:
“At our last Klaviyo Product Event, we introduced our text message marketing solution. After the announcement, it’s been amazing to see how many brands have used SMS to engage their customers in relevant, timely ways—making them less dependent on third-party marketing channels and building long-term, sustainable relationships with their most loyal fans.”
“Since then, we’ve been hard at work making SMS an essential part of your marketing strategy right out of the box. We’ve also invested heavily in the ‘under the hood’ foundation of text message marketing.”
"Since [our last Klaviyo Product Event], we’ve been hard at work making SMS an essential part of your marketing strategy right out of the box. We’ve also invested heavily in the ‘under the hood’ foundation of text message marketing"
Andrea Wan, head of SMS, Klaviyo
What’s new with Klaviyo SMS?
The third product announcement came in the form of multiple updates to Klaviyo SMS. Klaviyo now supports SMS in the US, Canada, and the UK—and we’re continuing to build out the product as we plan to launch SMS in additional countries.
Klaviyo’s SMS product announcements also includes:
- SMS deliverability updates. Klaviyo makes deliverability transparent. Not only do we share the delivery rate for all your text messages, but we even let you know why individual messages weren’t delivered, and how to improve this in the future.
- SMS compliance updates. We built Klaviyo SMS as a platform that helps you be compliant from the start—with features like signup form templates that allow you to automatically grow your SMS list compliantly, including the required opt-in language in every text you send (customized by the country of your recipient), and built-in safeguards to prevent you from sending texts to customers who haven’t yet given you consent—so your only focus is on creating great experiences for your customers.
- SMS Campaign A/B testing. You can test the length of your message, use of emojis, send time, whether a campaign should have an image, and anything else you can think of. A/B testing is especially valuable for SMS because your customers engage with texts in seconds—giving you immediate feedback on which variation is best. Try A/B testing your next SMS campaign—start building one in your Klaviyo account now.
Want to build a better customer experience with the combined powers of SMS and email?
Send smarter messages that get better results
Last but not least, the fourth announcement was that SMS metrics are now available in Klaviyo’s Reports Library. This new reporting tool helps you make smarter multi-channel marketing decisions for you and your customers.
Jake Cohen, Klaviyo’s head of customer marketing, explained:
“At Klaviyo, we’re committed to partnering with you on your journey towards ownership, growth, and success. And a critical part of that journey is understanding what your customers want and need, and how they like to engage with your brand.”
“That’s impossible to do without the right insights and data. The last thing we want to do is send you out there blindly to figure out what works and what doesn’t, while your brand’s reputation is on the line.”
“We want to make it incredibly easy to learn what works and what doesn’t, based on not only your own messages but the database of billions of messages sent through Klaviyo.”
"At Klaviyo, we’re committed to partnering with you on your journey towards ownership, growth, and success. And a critical part of that journey is understanding what your customers want and need, and how they like to engage with your brand."
Jake Cohen, head of customer marketing, Klaviyo
What is the Reports Library?
Responding to questions with answers backed by data is the best way to make smart and efficient decisions—and questions about your brand’s marketing strategy are no different.
But if you’re part of a lean team that doesn’t have the capacity to dive into metrics or you’re unsure about what questions you should ask, unpacking your data and analytics may be a daunting task.
The Reports Library will help you:
- Uncover your opportunities for email and SMS growth. You can use pre-built reports to get the business answers you need, fast.
- Discover what questions are the right ones to ask. The Reports Library will show you some of the most common questions marketers ask so you learn how to find data that’s valuable and where you need to make improvements.
- Look at your business from a different perspective. With a library of reports pulled from thousands of businesses similar to yours, (i.e., size, profit, target audience, industry), you can discover new ways to sort and organize all your data and gain a holistic sense of your brand’s performance.
Eliminate unnecessary guesswork and feel confident in your decisions.
More ways to own your growth
You shouldn’t have to sacrifice ownership to grow your business successfully—just the opposite. The more you rely on the marketing channels you directly control, the more you can determine your own destiny.
Klaviyo is your trusted partner on your journey towards taking back ownership and creating customer relationships will last as you grow.
Today we’ve taken major steps forward in improving what data you can collect and how you use it, the experiences you can create for your customers, and how you can become a smarter, more informed version of yourself.
We’ve expanded our SMS footprint—both in the countries we support and the functionality of the product—made multi-channel marketing easier to put into practice, and stepped up our data game, giving you more information to personalize your customers’ experiences.
But we won’t stop there. The path to complete ownership and sustainably growing your customer base, and ultimately your business, is not a linear one. We’re dedicated to continuously helping you connect directly with your customers and building meaningful relationships along the way. So as Andrew said, “see you soon.”
Watch the full product event to see these new product updates in action.