How to Segment Your New Subscribers by Content Preference
When subscribers sign up for your email list, segment them by their personal preferences so you can deliver more targeted emails. One great way to segment new subscribers is by content preference. By asking your subscribers what type of content they would like to receive, you ensure that they don’t have to sift through numerous emails from your brand (and likely delete them) before they find the ones that are relevant.
Include Content Options on Your Subscribe Page
Segmenting new subscribers by content works best if you send a number of different types of emails, but as long as you send more than one type, you can implement this strategy. The first step of segmenting your new subscribers is including content options on your subscribe page. Several different content options could include:
- New Product Releases
- Sale Emails
- Blog Posts
Make sure you use checkboxes on your subscribe page, so subscribers can select multiple options — you don’t want to limit people to just one.
Create Your Segments
When creating your segments, you want to ensure that you don’t exclude anyone who may have selected multiple options. When you add custom fields to a subscribe page, these options are imported into Klaviyo as custom properties. If people choose multiple options, the information is stored as a list of custom properties. Name your custom field something clear, like “Content Preference,” and name your segment something easily identifiable, like “Sale Email Subscribers.” It only takes six steps to create these segments:
- Create a segment based on “Properties about someone.”
- Choose the custom field you’ve created as your dimension (in our example, the dimension would be Content Preference).
- Select “contains.”
- Select your content type as the dimension value. This must correspond with one of the options you’ve included in your subscribe page (i.e. Sale Emails).
- To include all your subscribers who may not have selected a preference, include an “or” option where this custom field “is not set.”
- If you want to limit your subscribers to a certain list, include an “and” condition based on “Someone is in or is not in a list,” and choose the specific list.
And that’s it! Just rinse and repeat for each segment based on your content options. Now, you can create your content and send to these segments accordingly. As long as a subscriber has selected one of these content preferences, they will only be sent campaigns they’ve opted to receive.
Do you segment your email list based on content preferences? Let us know in the comments!